The Centre for Welsh Politics and Society (CWPS) is an interdisciplinary research centre at Aberystwyth University (AU). CWPS is a collaborative venture with The Wales Institute of Social and Economic Research, Data and Methods (WISERD). CWPS’s engagement and marketing is conducted by Aberystwyth University and WISERD.
Our contact details are:
The Centre for Welsh Politics and Society
Aberystwyth, SY23 3DB
AU is the data controller and has a Data Protection Officer who can be contacted at email@example.com.
This notice explains how we handle and use your personal information in line with current UK data protection legislation.
2. What personal data do CWPS process and what do we use it for?
CWPS may ask you to provide some information about yourself if you wish to access our services. This may involve signing up to an event, requesting to join our mailing list, requesting to receive a general election poster in the post and requesting a YouTube website link to a recording of an event. The personal data we process includes:
- Your name and title;
- Your contact details i.e. address, email, phone number and contact preferences;
- Your research interests;
- Your attendance at our events which may include your image and audio (if applicable);
- Information that affects the running of events, such as dietary and access requirements;
- The organisation you work for and your role within the organisation.
This information will be used by CWPS to administer the services that you have signed up for.
Under the UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the lawful basis we rely on for processing this information is consent.
You are able to remove your consent at any time. You can do this by contacting CWPS using the contact details outlined in section 1.
3. Video recording on Zoom
Some of our events will be recorded and uploaded to YouTube. This will be advertised on the event registration page. This will help to make the event and information accessible to more people. Information on how to manage these recordings is listed below:
- The recording will be deleted from YouTube after 5 years.
- The legal basis of us recording this is your consent. You have a right to refuse consent at any point up until broadcasting.
How we obtain your consent is listed below:
- Before the recording starts, a pop up will appear asking for your consent to be recorded.
- There is an option to turn your camera and microphone off.
- There is an option to change your display name. We suggest that you do this before you join the event. For more information on how to do this, please visit this Zoom support page.
- If you do not agree to give your consent you will be removed from the event.
- Unfortunately, it is not possible to remain in the event if you do not give your consent.
- The video will record the active speaker, this means that If you start talking your voice or video will be in the recording.
- Alternatively, you can type your questions in the chat box and our presenter will read them aloud. Questions can also be edited out on request.
- Participants’ names will not be displayed in the recording.
- Audio messages will play each time the recording starts or restarts, informing participants that the meeting is being recorded.
4. Sharing your personal data
While CWPS’s operate out of Aberystwyth University it may occasionally be necessary to share your personal information within CWPS’s partner institution WISERD (outlined in section 1). Data will only be shared for the purposes outlined in section 2 and will be processed in compliance with current data protection legislation.
CWPS also use the following third-party service providers to help us provide you with a better service. These are listed below:
- We use Microsoft Teams to host online events. You can review Microsoft’s privacy statement to find out how they manage user data.
- We use YouTube to host recorded videos of our events. You can review YouTube’s terms of service to find out how they manage user data.
5. How we store your personal information
Data protection legislation requires us to keep your information secure. This means that your confidentiality will be respected, and all appropriate measures will be taken to prevent unauthorised access and disclosure. Only members of staff who need access to relevant parts or all of your information will have authorised access. Your data will be stored on an AU secure server. When signing up to our mailing list through Mailchimp, your personal data will be held until you withdraw your consent to the processing of your data. When signing up to our events through Tocyn Cymru or Eventbrite, your personal data will be held for 1 year after the even, after which it will be deleted from our computer systems.
6. Your rights
You have a right to access, to rectify, to erase, to restrict your personal information and to data portability of your personal information. If you have provided consent to AU to process any of your data then you also have a right to withdraw that consent (as detailed in section 2). Please visit the University Data Protection webpages for further information in relation to your rights.
If you wish to exercise any of your rights please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are unhappy with the way in which your personal information has been processed you may, in the first instance, contact the University’s Data Protection Officer using the contact details above.
If you remain dissatisfied, then you have the right to apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a decision. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at:
Information Commissioner’s Office,
CWPS Privacy notice was updated on 16th September 2021.